When you are sitting with loved ones this season and thinking about the year ahead, it’s worth making a few resolutions to support your hearing health. At Big Thicket, we know that there are small actions you can take that will have a dramatic impact, so we’ve put together some information to inspire you.
Protect your ears
You only get one set of ears and it’s worth looking after them. There are steps you can take to prevent damage to your hearing or to stop any current problems getting any worse. These are just some of the factors you need to be aware of:
- Health – having high blood pressure and carrying extra weight can both contribute to hearing problems. It’s always a good idea to keep yourself active. You can get advice on this from your family doctor or local gym to help you get started, regardless of your current fitness level
- Waterlogging – keep your ears dry as moisture can affect your ability to hear. Even though this is usually temporary, it can exacerbate conditions like tinnitus. A waterlogged ear is also susceptible to infection which can go on to severely affect your hearing
- Loud noises – if you’re out hunting or you want to dance away at a concert, make sure you wear ear defenders. Damage caused by noise is one of the leading causes of hearing loss and it is often irreversible. If you already have impaired hearing, it is especially important to be aware of the fact that the issue can still get worse due to loud noises even if you no longer register them as high volume.
Take advantage of the help that’s available
If you have hearing difficulties, there are plenty of resources at your disposal to help you live a normal lifestyle.
- Audiologist support – it’s important to know your type of hearing loss, what level of hearing ability you have and many other factors that can be used to create a plan of support for you. This is something an audiologist can help with. Don’t assume that your hearing loss is an inevitable result of your work, getting older or anything else. There may be action that you can take, along with an audiologist, to significantly improve your circumstances
- Hearing aids – there are different styles of hearing aid and you can find one that fits your requirements once you have had a hearing test. Modern hearing aids are often discreet and easy to control remotely or by using an app on your phone.
Make your first resolution for the New Year be a trip to Big Thicket. Once you contact us, we can give you clear advice and an accurate assessment of your hearing needs.
Dr. Joni Ruiz is the owner and Doctor of Audiology at Big Thicket Hearing Aids and Audiology. She earned her doctorate of audiology in 2009 from Lamar University in Beaumont, TX. Selected for a prestigious fourth-year externship at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., Dr. Ruiz has more than ten years’ experience as an Audiologist. She has a heart for patient-centered care. At her hearing care practice, she performs comprehensive diagnostic audiological evaluations, provides aural rehabilitation to her patients and their loved ones, dispenses state of the art hearing aids, and manages the care of said devices for their life. Dr. Ruiz is dedicated to patient education regarding hearing loss, hearing protection, and hearing aid selection.