Did you know that hearing loss is the most common injury that veterans experience? Exposure to gunfire, machinery noise and explosions during your tour can have long-term consequences for your hearing health.
Maybe you’re experiencing tinnitus or perhaps you can’t hear certain sounds as well as you used to. Whichever the case, if you’re worried about your hearing health, we’re here to help. As an authorized provider within the Veteran’s Choice Program (VCP), we are glad to be able to offer eligible veterans hearing tests and hearing aids covered by the VA.
What is the VCP?
The VCP enables you, as a veteran, to receive the healthcare you need from a community provider, instead of your local VA medical facility. This only applies under certain circumstances, specifically:
- If your local VA medical facility can’t provide you with an appointment within 30 days
- If your local VA medical facility is more than 40 miles away from where you live
- If you need to catch a boat or plane to get to your local VA medical facility
- If medical conditions, environmental factors or geographic challenges make it difficult or impossible for you to get to your local VA medical facility
- If you live in a State or US Territory that doesn’t have a full-service VA medical facility.
Are you eligible?
If any of the above criteria are a match for your circumstances, then you likely are eligible for hearing healthcare as part of the VCP. There are however other circumstances that make you eligible, including, but not limited to:
- If your hearing loss resulted from your service and is affecting your ability to communicate
- If you have disabilities resulting from your service that are compensable
- If you received the Purple Heart
- If you are a former Prisoner of War
- If you are receiving benefits under Title 38 United States Code 1151
This list is not exhaustive. So the best way to find out if you are eligible for hearing healthcare under the VCP is to check with the VA.
Get in touch
If you are eligible, all you need to do get in touch with Big Thicket Hearing Aids and Audiology. We’re the only audiologist and hearing aid provider in Lumberton, Texas, serving the Big Thicket communities. You can call us on (409) 227-0284 or click here to book schedule a hearing assessment in Lumberton.
We are forever grateful for your service and now would like to be of service to you, so that you can live life to the full.
Dr. Joni Ruiz is the owner and Doctor of Audiology at Big Thicket Hearing Aids and Audiology. She earned her doctorate of audiology in 2009 from Lamar University in Beaumont, TX. Selected for a prestigious fourth-year externship at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., Dr. Ruiz has more than ten years’ experience as an Audiologist. She has a heart for patient-centered care. At her hearing care practice, she performs comprehensive diagnostic audiological evaluations, provides aural rehabilitation to her patients and their loved ones, dispenses state of the art hearing aids, and manages the care of said devices for their life. Dr. Ruiz is dedicated to patient education regarding hearing loss, hearing protection, and hearing aid selection.